The Beginning of Daniel's Weight Loss Journey



When I started my weight loss journey last August, Daniel made it very clear that under no uncertain circumstances would he EVER do a KETO style diet. He told me that he would do his Slim Fast diet that he knew would work for him.  He would drink a slim fast for breakfast, another for lunch, then he would eat whatever I prepared for supper.  He didn't care if that was a Keto style meal or not, as long as it tasted good.  If you have ever read the label on a slim fast shake, you would know that the carb count for the regular, chocolate slim fast shake made with milk is approximately 20 or more carbs each.  That means that his two shakes a day were about 45 grams of carbs.  Then he would come home and eat the supper that I made.  From August to Christmas break, he lost about 20 pounds doing the Slim Fast diet.  Over Christmas break, he did not maintain his diet and quickly gained back most of what he lost.  When we were at a buffet, he ate what he wanted.  No judgement here, but when we got back home, he was not pleased with himself.  He was bound and determined to get back on track with his Slim Fast.  About the middle of January, I was at a different store than normal and went to pick up his shakes for work.  At home we would use the powder, but at work it was more convenient to take a premade shake.  I saw the Chocolate Slim Fast and picked it up.  I also picked up a package of four that was a protein shake to try, which he didn't like. After I got home, Daniel asked me if I had meant to get him a protein shake.  I told him that the package of four was just to see if he like it.  He then informed me that the Slim Fast shakes that I had picked up were the Chocolate Protein Shakes.  He liked it too.  So the next time that I went to the store for his shakes, I had to drive 30 minutes to get the Protein ones.  I was more than glad to make the drive though.  Are you kidding, get that much more sugar out of his body, it was sooo very worth it.  Next thing I know, he tells me "Well, I guess that I am doing Keto too."  I couldn't have been any happier with him at that moment.  
For the next two months, he continued to drink his shakes, but he started to need less of them.  He might get a drink of water in the morning, and drink a shake at lunch, then he would eat supper at home with the family.  During the lock down because of Covid, he sometimes would struggle more with wanting to eat because he was at home.  He does still eat a snack most days, but he only eats one meal a day and his eating window is 4-5 hours a day or less.  
From January to the end of May Daniel lost 91 pounds, just three and a half months.  We measured him in January and almost monthly since.  When it came time to measure towards the end of June, he told me not to worry about it because he hadn't lost any weight during the month of June.  I told him I thought that we needed to measure his belly at least.  I talked him into letting me measure his belly and he had lost 1" off his belly, so he let me take the rest of the measurements.  In total he had lost 4" off his body during a month that the scale didn't move a bit.  Now another month later and again, the scale still hasn't moved at all.  I talked him into letting me measure him again with some resistance.  He had lost another 2.5" off his body.  Both months he was a bit discouraged because the scale was lying to him and telling him that he was not making any progress, yet both times the measurements proved the scale wrong. Daniel has hovered at 305 for two months, but his body has continued to change despite what the scale says.  
Last week, we went to the track with a couple of other families and he actually jogged around the track for a full lap after walking 7 laps.  He made it a full two miles that night.  I was so very proud of my husband.  I did tell him that he looked like a little old man out there trying to run, but he did it.  That is something that I still can not do with out hurting myself.  (Yes, he has already read this. I am not talking behind his back.)  
My point to this is to never give up because the scale says that you have hit a plateau and you may feel like you are not making any progress.  Please, please, please take measurements. When you do hit a plateau according to the scale, don't give up.  When the scale does start to move again, you will be glad that you didn't quit.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Do It?

Taking Charge

The Beginning of My Weight Loss Journey